The Library Card
“I have found that the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card.”
Who can get a library card?
- Requirements for getting a library card:
- Must be 16 years or older (Children under age 16 must have a parent or guardian who qualifies present and who will be responsible for the child in order to get a library card)
- Must be a resident of Richmond County (non-County residents visiting our library with a Virginia driver’s license may also get a card). Proof of residence is required if address on valid ID is incorrect.
- Patrons who do not have a valid Virginia DMV-issued photo ID may provide two USPS mail items addressed to them (such as a bill) with their current address.
How do I get a library card?
- Options for obtaining a library card:
- In-person: All visitors who meet the above requirements may receive a library card by coming to the Richmond County Public Library and asking for assistance from the service desk staff.
- Richmond County residents may request a temporary library card for accessing e-resources by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. We encourage patrons to visit the library to pick up their physical card within 30 days of receiving their temporary card.
How can I use my library card?
- Borrowing Materials from our Collection
- These periods and limits on check-outs apply:
- Circulating Books: 4 week loan, limit 2 renewals
- New Fiction Books: 2 week loan, no renewals if there are holds; if there are no holds, then limit 1 renewal
- DVDs: 1 week loan, no renewals if there are holds; if there are no holds, then limit 1 renewal
- Audiobooks (books on CD): 4 week loan, limit 2 renewals
- Juvenile Materials: 4 week loan, limit 2 renewals
- Interlibrary Loan Materials limits and lending periods are determined by the lending library.
- These periods and limits on check-outs apply:
- Access to our online resources, including OverDrive, hoopla, and Universal Class.
How can I renew an item I have borrowed?
- Renewals may be requested by phone. Patrons should provide their library card number and current mailing address in order to renew material by phone. Providing only a person’s name is considered insufficient identification via telephone to renew materials. Please phone Warsaw (804) 333-6710 or Glenns (804) 758-6710 to renew.
- Renewals cannot be requested on materials with holds. Patrons are expected to return materials that have holds in a prompt manner. Upon returning such materials, patrons may request that their name be added to the hold list for future checkout.
What if my stuff is late or lost?
- For overdue materials, patrons will receive one overdue letter as a courtesy. If the patron fails to return the materials within 40 days, the material will be declared lost and the patron forfeits all library privileges. When a material has been declared lost, the patron must either return the material immediately or pay the replacement fee for that material (SEE Library Fines, below). Failure to return the materials or pay the replacement fee will result in the submission of the patron’s debt to the RCC Business Office for collection using the Virginia Debt Set-Off program. The patron may also forfeit library privileges permanently.
- If materials with multiple pieces are returned with parts missing, patrons will be notified by phone. If not returned promptly, the entire material will be considered lost and the patron will be held responsible for the appropriate replacement fee.
Is there a fine for late materials?
- Richmond County Public Library does not collect fines for overdue materials. All patrons are responsible for returning materials by their due dates. All patrons are responsible for maintaining the physical condition of each library material (including those with multiple parts). If items are not returned in a timely manner, patrons will be charged a replacement fee appropriate for the material borrowed.
- Lost/Damaged Book: $50.00
- Lost/Damaged Children’s or Young Adult Book: $25.00
- Lost/Damaged DVD: $50.00
- Lost/Damaged Children’s or Young Adult DVD: $25.00
- Lost/Damaged Audiobook (Book on CD): $75.00
- Lost/Damaged Interlibrary Loan material replacement fees and fines are determined by the lending library, but will be at least the same fees we charge for RCPL lost/damaged items.
The material I want to check-out is checked-out by someone else. May I place a hold?
- Holds may be placed on any item that circulates. Patrons may place holds on materials either by phone or in-person. Your library card number should be provided if holds are requested via telephone. Patrons will be notified by phone when the material becomes available. Materials will be held for 1 week after patrons are notified. If the material is not picked up within that time frame, it will be placed back into circulation. Patrons are responsible for keeping their contact information up-to-date. Patrons with outstanding charges may not place hold requests.
I was not able to return my materials before the library closed. How do I return them?
- Library materials may be returned in the book drop located on both campuses (Warsaw: under the flag poles in the front of the building or Glenns: at the front of the building). These outdoor book drops are available 24/7. The outside book drops are checked daily except on Sundays and designated holidays.
- Materials may also be returned via mail using the following addresses:
RCC Warsaw Library
52 Campus Drive
Warsaw, VA 22572
RCC Glenns Library
12745 College Drive
Glenns, VA 23149